2006 Forenza Daytime Running Light Removal?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 07:01 AM
Default 2006 Forenza Daytime Running Light Removal?

Hey Everyone,
Does anyone know how to disable the Daytime Running Lights on a 2006 Forenza, or the location of the DRL module? Would I need some sort of jumper to keep the E-Brake Idiot Light working, or just unplug the module? And would it effect the fog lights? Thanks.
I really appreciate it.

Old 01-11-2006, 12:43 AM
Default RE: 2006 Forenza Daytime Running Light Removal?

Maybe it's as simple as removing the bulbs.

Old 01-11-2006, 04:39 AM

I'm not sure if that was an innocent mistake by someone who has never owned a car with daytime running lights or just someone being a smart a$$. ANYONE knows that you cannot remove the bulbs because in doing so, that will either be removing your headlights or high beam bulbs. DRL's are not separate bulbs. Also, if it was as easy as that, don't you think someone would have tried that before posting a question on how to disable them? [sm=badidea.gif]

If this is the only kind of repsonse one can expect from here; I feel very weary about any info given out on this site. Now, does anyone have something that will actually help ?
Please ? [sm=headbang.gif]

Old 01-11-2006, 10:58 AM

Nothing ill intended, SuperZuki.

Perhaps some ignorance on my part, as well as being a little behind the times, but no meanness here. All my other vehicles have separate bulbs for the DRL, probably because they are all so old the DRLs were an add-on. Checking the replacement headlamp housing assembly instruction, I find an option for a single bulb hi/lo, separate bulbs for hi and lo beam, a socket for DRL bulb, and another one that isn't marked but appears to be a turn signal option of some sort. It's all in German, and I can't read it. It appears that you can get either the single or double bulb option, but not on the same assembly. This particular product fit VW beetles through 1965, Type 2 (microbus) through 1967, and various Porsches, but several other vehiches were shown on the drawing. Most of the VWs listed had to be converted from 6-volt systems to 12-volt, with new wires and a relay for the bigger lights. My brother got these kits for me about 10 years ago when he was in Europe. They are the Hella brand.

Just curious, but why would you want to disable the DRLs?

Best regards,

Dave

Old 01-11-2006, 03:44 PM

Hey Dave,
Sorry for seeming so nasty in the last reply. I've just been looking all over for this and I cannot find out how to disable the DRL's anywhere. You taught me something new about DRL's. I never knew that VW's had separate bulbs for the DRL's. I am used to the American and Japanese cars that only use the highbeam as the DRL.

Thanks for being patient with me. I just don't like the way they look during the day. I'm in a car club and most of the members disabled them on their vehicles also. And, the fact that the highbeam bulb is being used more will make it burn out faster. I could never get used to them on any car I owned.

Sincerely,

Jim

Old 01-11-2006, 05:47 PM

Hey, Jim,

I was discussing it with a buddy at lunch and he mentioned that the item I described was an aftermarket item available in Europe in the sixties and seventies, possibly not exactly legal in the US. My brother was a missionary in Switzerland 81~84 and found 4 sets NIB at a flea market and paid about $5 a set. I retrofitted both my VWs (bug and bus) and one of his, and we sold a set. Regardless, they were not an official VW item, so it may not be true for other models.

I wish we could get a Haynes manual and a wiring diagram for these things. As long as I keep vehicles, I know I am going to spend some time under the hood of this thing. I retired that 65 microbus in 94 at 775,000 miles.

Regards,

Dave