Suzuki Boulevard issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2020, 10:04 PM
Default Suzuki Boulevard issues VL800

Hello guys, I have a 2006 Suzuki Boulevard VL800 C50. I did a mistake of leaving the fuel in the tank. Now, I cleaned out gas tank from old fuel and rust, (used evapo rust). I replaced throttle pipes, fuel pump, not fuel pump assembly. Installed new injectors, new plugs, new throttle position sensor, and I have no codes. Now when I start the engine and I give it full throttle, the rpm surges. Has anyone had this type of issues?
Please help.

Last edited by C50 rider 06; 05-27-2020 at 10:09 PM.
Old 06-17-2021, 07:20 PM

Hey, how you doing? I'm working on a 06 C50 and it had the same issues. Fortunately (for me, that is) I've only gotten to the point where the tank is clean and ready to go back on (pretty soon, anyway). Please, do you have access to just what all has to be cleaned/replaced to get to the point where you are, right now?
We've had to buy a new gas pump/filter/sender unit (400 Clams!!!) and I'm optimistic that none of the sludge that was in the tank actually made its way south into the pipes/injectors/stuff. Am I being TOO optimistic?
After the tank/pump assembly, there's a "flexible" pipe. What does it feed into? Is there a schematic or flow diagram which shows the fuel flow and the components in that line?
I think that, since no one else on this "Forum" (I put it in quotes because a "forum" is just an open space unless there are people,...uh...peopling(?) it. And, it seems that this place is all but dead.) seems to respond, maybe as I get mine up to the same level of completion as yours is, we can sort of stand on each other shoulders and move forward.
What do you mean when you say that your engine "surges" at full throttle. Are you saying that, as you accelerate, the engine RPM surges or are you talking about the pump? You say that you didn't replace the gas pump/filter/sender unit but, instead, rebuilt that assembly? Maybe everything wasn't as clean as it needed to be and, when you reassembled it, some trash made its way down into the filter. A clogged line can cause RPM surges. This is the reason I'm worried about just how much further I need to disassemble the fuel flow system. Any ideas?

Old 06-17-2021, 07:30 PM

Also, what is EvapoRust? We took our tank to a local radiator shop and they used an acid flush followed by agitation with aggregate and repeated it a number of times. After a neutralizing flush, they dried it and then put an epoxy coating on the inside.
Is it possible that the "EvapoRust" has somehow affected the pump or the filter or both?

Old 06-17-2021, 07:38 PM
Default 06 Suzuki Boulevard C50

I did use evaporust in the fuel tank. I lefted it in for 24hrs and it did an awesome job. I was surprised how clean it was. My fuel regulator was the main issue for my motorcycle not idling properly. The is a flex tube that runs down along the fuel pump, down to the filter.

Old 06-17-2021, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by C50 rider 06
I did use evaporust in the fuel tank. I lefted it in for 24hrs and it did an awesome job. I was surprised how clean it was. My fuel regulator was the main issue for my motorcycle not idling properly. The is a flex tube that runs down along the fuel pump, down to the filter.
OK, that's good info to have.So you've fixed your problem? And your last sentence is missing something; you say "The is a flex tube that runs down ...". I don't know what "The" is, is it the fuel regulator? If so, it's a flex tube? Can you elaborate a little, please?

Old 06-17-2021, 09:08 PM
Default Flex tube 06 Suzuki

My apologies. Is this tube connected to the fuel regulator?
is this the tube?

Old 06-18-2021, 09:27 AM

Well, your pic shows two tubes and I'm pretty ignorant concerning the fuel pump/filter/sender unit actual component locations.

The two tubes shown in your pic are a grey one which is actually inside the tank when it's installed and the black one with the curly wrap around protection(?) is the one from the tank to the bike. Yeah?

Well, my issue, my ignorance concerning the fuel system en toto, is profound. Bottom line: I'm trying to hook up a temp fuel source to the bike while the actual unit is in the paint shed. With a carburetted bike all you really need is a jug fitted with a hose hanging above the bike using gravity as a "pump" to keep the carb bowls filled. It looks like one would need a pump providing fuel at some specified pressure for the injectors to be able to, well..., inject.

1. Is there another fuel pump after the tank and before the actual injectors?
2. Just what does the actual fuel flow "schematic" look like and what components are contained (...the Haynes manual is less than comprehensive)?
3. Can I use a hanging, gravity fed fuel line to feed the bike at the bike mounted port at the "bike end" of that curly black line.
4. What should my expectations be concerning contaminated fuel having made its way down the curly black line and into whatever follows.
5. Assuming the worst, what kind and how thorough of a cleaning process must I look at before I can say, "OK, it's clean." ?
6. You said that you replaced the injectors (I came away with the impression that you did it almost as a matter of course)...can they be cleaned or must they be replaced?
7. Are there other tubes/orifices that need to be cleaned/replaced.

These are the kind of questions I have going forward. Any (and others) you can address will be very much appreciated. In fact, I'm already much indebted, thank you very much for your help thus far.

Old 06-18-2021, 07:34 PM
Default Curly wrap

Yes, the curly wrap is the main fuel line that's connected to the fuel pump