Boulevard S50 will not crank/start

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 02:25 PM
Unhappy Boulevard S50 will not crank/start

We bought a 2005 S50 yesterday, drove it home, started it once in the driveway, tested the fork lock, unlocked it (just testing to see if it worked), then covered it and came inside. When we went back out to go for a ride it would not start.

It will bump start and runs fine. When you depress the starter button, the headlight dims but the starter does not engage. The kill switch is on (as opposed to off). The bike is in neutral (tried it in gear with the kickstand up and clutch engaged). The clutch is engaged (in neutral). The fuses are all good. The battery is tested and is fine. Any insight? Anyone?

It started just fine before we tried that fork lock. We are certain the fork lock is in the unlocked position. Actually it's now sheered because someone said we could sheer the pin by straightening the handlebars forcefully and that might allow the bike to start. HELP!! Please.

Old 12-19-2015, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon Davis Lawson
We bought a 2005 S50 yesterday, drove it home, started it once in the driveway, tested the fork lock, unlocked it (just testing to see if it worked), then covered it and came inside. When we went back out to go for a ride it would not start.

It will bump start and runs fine. When you depress the starter button, the headlight dims but the starter does not engage. The kill switch is on (as opposed to off). The bike is in neutral (tried it in gear with the kickstand up and clutch engaged). The clutch is engaged (in neutral). The fuses are all good. The battery is tested and is fine. Any insight? Anyone?

It started just fine before we tried that fork lock. We are certain the fork lock is in the unlocked position. Actually it's now sheered because someone said we could sheer the pin by straightening the handlebars forcefully and that might allow the bike to start. HELP!! Please.
You might be chasing a red herring with the fork lock. Try looking at the starter relay. On my 99 GS500, it's the first thing the positive terminal on the battery touches. Follow the wire until you see a large metal can-like object (should be very close). Short the two heavy contacts with a screwdriver with somebody holding the start button to see if it'll start.

Old 06-13-2022, 12:49 PM

Did you ever got it start or find a solution for it? I have a 2006 S50 model that have exact same problem like you did. Would you please let me know? Thank you in advance.

Old 06-13-2022, 12:52 PM

I have 2006 S50 model and have exact same problem. I did try your suggestion by short and bypass the relay starter solenoid but it still didn't work. Any other suggest idea would be appreciate it.

Thank in advance.