General Motorcycle Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

87 Intruder No Spark

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2020, 09:24 AM
Default 87 Intruder No Spark

Good Morning,

I have a 1987 Intruder 700 with a no spark issue. Here is what I have tested and where I am at:

Battery is good, fully charged and load tested to be good.
Power to both of the ign. coils (12 volts)
Power to the ign. box under back seat. (Also I have three of these boxes and have tried each one with no success.)
Orange / White wires that come from the kill switch to the coils are free and showing positive test results.

Strange happenings - Randomly, I will get one single spark to the plugs (both) when attempting to start. This will only happen after several hours of not trying to start the bike. Once I get the one spark I will get no spark again.

I have replaced both ign. coils with brand new ones.
I have also gone back and put old coils on with same results.
The spark plugs are brand new, correct part number for both and are gapped correctly.

Power shows to both coils wire connectors, and power shows good once connectors are connected to coils.

Side note - Side stand switch and clutch safety switch have been removed (long ago) before problem started.

I have read so many posts from so many forums, unable to find answers to help. Decided to finally post about this issue, which I have been working on for more than a year to try and solve.

Any help would be great! Thank you!

Old 03-10-2021, 08:37 PM
Default No spark

Wow that is a bumfuzzler,,it has to be a ground wire problem does yours have a starter button on it ??Sounds like you have covered the basic starter circuit that’s really unusual I’ll do some research with you and we’ll figure this out

Old 03-10-2021, 08:43 PM
Default Another thought

I am going to make a stupid suggestion but have you tested the plug wires from the coils to the end where the plugs are?? It seems like it would have to be open on the plug wires if no spark at the plugs sounds like you know your business I’m just trying to help you think that’s all