General Motorcycle Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

gixer 750 not running right after carby rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 01:34 AM
Default gixer 750 not running right after carby rebuild

hey guys

i have a 1995 gixxer 750 and decided to rebuild the carbys and reposition the needles in the slide blocks to get some extra power (100hp at the rear wheel just wasnt enought anymore ) since then she hasnt been running right, at idle a quick twist of the throttle seems to choke the engine, then almost stalls. when going to take off giving ti throttle and tryin to engauge the clutch does the same thing, then, after a few seconds of that, without moving the throttle, the revs skyrocket to about 6000. and after you actually get her moving, a quick blip of the throttle during a downshift just seems to chock it again. besides that its running fine. has anyone any suggestions on what it could be? have i missed a vacuum line when putting it all back together or does it just need tuning after having the needles repositioned?

cheers guys. Al

Old 03-12-2007, 11:29 AM
Default RE: gixer 750 not running right after carby rebuild

hi there. I have a gs550 that i picked up reccently that has the same problem, though it was the previous owner who has done something to it. I too have the problem with blipping the throttle and it bogs down, then the revs rise drastically and cant get my engine to idle. It most definatly sounds like carb problem.

Im not an expert at these things but from tinkering and lots of research on the internet i may be able to give you a few things to check that may help.

First of, check that you vacum pipe from the tank is connected to the carbs, this is usually a smaller pipe than the petrol feed. Im not familiar with the gsx so dont quote me on it. If your petrol tap does not have an off position (pri, on, res) then there should be a second pipe from the tap. Also there may be more than 1 vacum nipple on the carb which should be blanked of if the pipe only connects to one of them.

This pipe if its not connected will certainly cause a bike to run eraticaly as 1, its drawing in air, 2 the vacum is not operating the tap to let a good supply of fuel.

I would revert back to the original settings for the needles as there is little to be gained by tweaking ur carb unless you have done majour modifications to the engine and exhaust. You may also have a stuck float which would either cause your carbs to flood or get little or no fuel.

It sounds like the problem is carb related as it was fine before the strip and rebuild, you may need to rebalance the carbs aswell.

with the engine bogging down and then rev's jumping sky high im thinking that its not getting enough fuel.