General Motorcycle Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Suzuki VL1500 starter issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2022, 09:47 AM
Default Suzuki VL1500 starter issue

I've got a 99 Suzuki VL1500. I'm having an intermittent issue with starting the machine. It began last year, I started the bike up and noticed the starter stayed energized after starting. It continued until my battery died. I removed and charged the battery, and it didn't do it again (at least not for a while). Months later I went out to an arcade, upon trying to leave, my bike had no power at all! I turned the key to the on position and there was no lights, no sounds(clicking or otherwise), it was stone dead. I tried jumping it to no avail. I've since brought it home, redid all the terminals that attach to the battery, and it started right up, I rode around for a few days, and it happened again! The starter stayed engaged. I tried multiple taps to the ignition switch, I tried a few good wraps to the starter, and turning the bike off with the kill switch and the key switch, the weird part is that even after turning the bike off, the starter stayed energized and continued trying to start the bike, until it killed my battery again. Has anyone had this issue before? Or does anyone have advise on what to do about this?