General Motorcycle Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

vl1500 does weird stuff!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 02:04 PM
Default vl1500 does weird stuff!!!

ok im workin on a 2000 intruder 1500lc, when the bike came in the owner said"i rode it in the rain and put it away,the next morning it wouldnt start", ok no big deal right? wrong! after many hours of testing the wireing for a no spark condision, i traced the problem to the ignitor box. the bike will crank and you get no pulse to the trigger wire on the coils[this is were it starts getting weird] until you let off the starter button.the last rotation of the engine after the button is relesed a signal gets to the coils. ok the box is bad right? wrong i replaced the box with a dynatek box, installed it, and hit the starter and it fired up on the first shot. then i started the bike and killed it aleast a hundred times on three seperate days till the customer came and got it[ it started and ran its butt off everytime,hot or cold] as soon as he got it home he put it in his garage and the next morning whent to start it and guess what? it did the same thing! no start and pops when the button is released! so i go pick up the bike again, get out my testlight and meter, no trigger signal. fustated i whent home for the day. in the morning i hit the starter it fires!!! i say what the hell?? and shut it down, get my tools and figure ill try and see what the problem is now,hit the starter no start! it must have taken me 5 seconds to get my testlight and hit the starter again, and it pulls this??? what gives? i cant figure out what is causeing this, is there a componet im not cheacking?? all grounds are good. im loseing sleep over this bike!