New member with potential new Suzuki ownership

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 05:00 PM
Default New member with potential new Suzuki ownership

Hello gang. First of all thank you for having me here and tolerating the antics of a newbie.

As I'm approaching 50 years old and having an affinity for anything with 2 wheels starting with mopeds and later a 150cc scooter, I've recently come across a mint condition 1994 Intruder 800 with a hole in the case under the starter. Guy was cruising and said he heard a bang and that was it. I can get the bike for 500 bucks. It has 22,000 original miles and recently had service done on it. It's a garage kept bike with saddle bags, aftermarket seat, etc.

Now I'm a mechanic and have figured out stuff even Mercedes Benz couldn't figure out on a transmission control module on a smart car. I've rebuilt vw engines and cruised the USA in an old Vw bus and bug on engines I've built with zero problems. Saving money by putting my talents to use is the goal.

So it's with this knowledge and this story that I humbly come to you with my questions. I know replacing the engine hurts resale value. Screw it. I'm not getting any younger and I'd like the chance to cruise around town with my wife, get an ice cream, and not worry about breaking the rear axle on my scooter. I have ridden motorcycles before that I didn't own and after about an hour learning their nuances, I'm off riding with confidence.

I found an engine from a 2003 (suzuki v-twin 800) which is of course black and not chrome with a little over 6k miles which sounds great. I can get it for a about 800 bucks. The black would look cool with this gorgeous red paint and so I'd like to know if I can just remove the old engine, swap in the lower mile replacement, and off I go?

That's the crux of this post...aside from introducing myself, if for 1300 bucks I could have me a nice bastardized cruiser by combinining parts, will the engine be a nice simple direct exchange, will it fit and be worth it or if I should just abandon the whole thing? Everything about the bike is cherry, great tires, great shape, it all works, but it threw a rod I think based on where the hole is.

Thanks for reading my post and I look forward to your honest replies.

NQ

Last edited by NoQuarter; 07-19-2019 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Correct typos
Old 07-22-2019, 03:30 PM

I've seen bikes in the 650-800 cc range for that price or less with nothing wrong, just buy and drive. Might be a nice project if your into that. Might also have enough parts to scrap it out but I probably wouldn't want to go thru tat for that price.

Old 07-22-2019, 08:24 PM

Thank you for your reply. It's a common answer that I get on a lot of things. Even that little Smart Car I bought - I had people telling me why bother, you'll never get it fixed if Mercedes Benz couldn't fix it, etc. Even today I found a good running bike on craigslist for $500 that is exactly like mine - but it's in Seattle 1500 miles away. Here in the middle of the USA, we don't get the good deals because everyone hangs on to their stuff and when they want to sell it, they ask a lot.

I had a seller on ebay tell me that the 2005 engine he has with low miles won't work. I've scanned the parts list and have seen different part numbers such as the crankcase itself, but the diagram doesn't really show anything majorly different. One of the major differences is the magneto assembly, but all I can see is that what Suzuki once had as an itemized breakdown is now an entire assembly and thus the different part number. For instance the magneto once had a separate one-way bearing for the starter gear. Later models it's all one piece. The crankshafts are all the same part number for different years and so far, I can't find one person who can confirm or deny whether it would work or not. Maybe nobody has done it because they are just used to the reasoning that if the part numbers are different, it won't work. I like to know the reason WHY - different bolt size, different spacing on a mounting bolt, different thread, different journal, etc.? Just what is it? I really suspect that I could move my electronics over to a long block as well as the other parts and it would work. But it's still a gamble. Somewhere someone has an affinity for these VS800s and knows if you can swap them or not. I just don't want to gamble. Hell I would even buy a 2005 that overheated and threw 2 rods just to tear apart and see if the electronic stuff would fit.

I'm doggedly determined as that attitude has got me through life quite well. I don't quit not give up easily and if I have to make brackets, adapters, or any other part in a lathe or milling machine - I'll do it just to say I can.

I picked up the bike yesterday and she is a real beauty and I can't wait to ride! It even came with an original Suzuki repair/service manual for the bike which is basically unobtanium as far as online sources go.

If someone needs a copy, we can talk about it, but only after I find someone who can help me decide why a 2005 VS800 won't work in a 1994.

NQ

Old 07-23-2019, 01:33 PM

Well as it turns out, I got in touch with Steve's Cycle in Tifton, GA. 11,000 mile original engine from a bike with bent forks due to a wreck. I paid a bit more for the engine, but this bike has been so well maintained and kept inside, I'm going to have a show queen quality ride when I'm done. Andy was professional, no bs, and told me it would be about 4 days before he shipped it as it's been sitting in the rack for a few years and they need to test it before it goes out.

I *STRONGLY* suspect that a later engine will work, but all people tell me is, "The numbers don't match." Well no $hit Surelock. They won't because the part numbers for a later engine means it's black and has the bosses cast in the engine cylinder for the facade air box that holds the tools or some such malarkey.

I compared parts diagrams and even looked at pictures of crankcases from different engines and everything looks the bloody same. Where I did find different part numbers was the later engines painted black and a different number on the ignition module and magneto due to the consolidation of the trigger coil, mag, and sprag clutch into one assembled unit instead of individual parts. All the crankshaft numbers for all years are the same which means both mags would fit. It sucks when people are reduced to saying, "It's a different number and it won't work." when the truth oftentimes is just the opposite.

The good part is that the all-chrome engine won't look so bastardized although I would have liked to have had that nice 6,000 mile engine. 11,000 isn't the end of the world though and is half the total miles this bike has on it.

NQ

Last edited by NoQuarter; 07-23-2019 at 01:34 PM. Reason: typos
Old 07-23-2019, 01:43 PM

Since I seem to be the only supporting member of my original post, let me leave this here lest someone ever runs across the same issue.

I just got word from a bike mechanic that all VS800 engines from 1990 to 2010 will interchange no problem. "Just save yourself the trouble and move the existing mag and ignition components over to the new engine."

So damn, I could have had a cheaper black engine with less miles, but at least we have the information preserved here.

If anyone would like to discuss the grass roots guts and glory of the venerable VS800 engine or the bike itself, let me know.

NQ

Old 07-24-2019, 07:54 AM

I'm not --not supporting you-- I'm all for it and I'll always recommend to everyone to try it yourself. Financially some things are mot worth doing. Wether this the case, that's certainly up to you. I'm actually thinking about getting some project bikes and flipping them. A few fixes might just turn onto some profits plus I'll do some learning. With a little looking up and learning, most if not all issues can be fixed by the owner on cars, trucks, bikes, homes, trailer.....etc