Rm 250 Wide open

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 04:42 PM
Default Rm 250 Wide open

Hello. I am new to this site but need some help. I have a rm 250, 2000/2001. So I had the bike running fine when I put it away for a year or so. I drained the fuel and cleaned it out, added new fuel and started it up. With no throttle, the engine wanted to go full open. I tore apart the carb and cleaned it. Now when I start it, I can get it to idle, but as I give it a little throttle, it wants to stay wide open. The throttle/grip will adjust/move back and forth so I dont think the cable is bad/sticking. A friend suggested the "power band" but I dont know enough about the bikes...? Any suggestions? Thanks for your time.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:31 PM

My friend who has a Suzuki bike had a similar problem a few years ago. After tweaking around with it for several months, he finally gave up and took it to a garage. Not sure what the final verdict was, but the garage did get the bike running smoothly again. Maybe just take it in right away? Good luck.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:07 AM

Your throttle cable is most definitely bad. Even when they are bad the throttle will still move back and fourth. The easiest way to tell if the cable is bad is when it's just sitting there the throttle should have a little play. If there is no play in it then the cable is tight which means the cable is bad. Put a new throttle cable in it and that will fix your problem.

And power band is something two stroke motors do not something you can check. Power band is when your riding it and it goes from spongey low end rpm's and gets a hard snap of power going into higher rpm's. Thats power band. There is a power valve inside the motor but that is not your problem. Also you don't need to clean the carb after sitting with a two stroke. The oil in the gas won't let the gas get gummy and clog the jets as it would in a 4 stroke with out premix.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:29 PM
Default thanks

Thanks guys. I decided to tear apart the top end and check the exhaust valve as others have said that build up can cause problems in performance. Here are some pics. There should be no "black buildup" according to the masses. I will definitely change the throttle cable as well as soon as I get the bike back together. What I dont understand is the last time before putting the bike away, it ran like a champ. Would the cable really go bad while sitting there? Anyways thanks

Attached Thumbnails Rm 250 Wide open-p1040674_2_2.jpg   Rm 250 Wide open-p1040675_2_2.jpg   Rm 250 Wide open-p1040676_2_2.jpg  
Old 09-27-2011, 04:01 PM

yes the cable can go bad from sitting. tearing the motor apart was unnecessary. im sure you will notice when your riding it that the clutch cable will need to be adjusted as well. that cable also will get a little tight from sitting. but that one is adjustable, the throttle cable is not.

Old 09-27-2011, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by 40fordpu
Thanks guys. I decided to tear apart the top end and check the exhaust valve as others have said that build up can cause problems in performance. Here are some pics. There should be no "black buildup" according to the masses. I will definitely change the throttle cable as well as soon as I get the bike back together. What I dont understand is the last time before putting the bike away, it ran like a champ. Would the cable really go bad while sitting there? Anyways thanks
no black build up haha. dude where are you getting this info from. of course there is going to be black build up ITS A FREAKIN TWO STROKE!!!!! you should have black stuff coming out of the silencer and a little bit dripping on your swing arm after an hour long ride. that black build up is going to come right back after a couple rides. a 4 stroke should have no black build up but a two stroke is supposed to its the oil you mix in the gas. and if there is no black stuff coming out of your pipe or the exhaust valve then your running your bike lean and it will blow up quickly.

Last edited by Sandwiches; 09-27-2011 at 04:16 PM.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:13 PM

your motor looks totally fine that black stuff is absolutely normal haha. while the motor is apart tho if i were you i would put in a new piston if you haven't done the top end in a few years

Old 09-28-2011, 02:57 PM
Default Thanks

Thanks for laughing at me. I dont know much about the 2 stroke. Have to go by what the masses say. I understand that there will be "black staining" but "black carbon buildup" or "black gunk" should be maintained to a minimum. Regardless, I am cleaning it up, replacing gaskets and then reassembly. At that point, I will crank it up and let you know what happens. It very well could be the cable which is an easy fix as I understand it. $20 bucks for a cable isnt bad. Thanks for everyone advice I will be back on in a week or so.

Old 09-29-2011, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by 40fordpu
Thanks for laughing at me. I dont know much about the 2 stroke. Have to go by what the masses say. I understand that there will be "black staining" but "black carbon buildup" or "black gunk" should be maintained to a minimum. Regardless, I am cleaning it up, replacing gaskets and then reassembly. At that point, I will crank it up and let you know what happens. It very well could be the cable which is an easy fix as I understand it. $20 bucks for a cable isnt bad. Thanks for everyone advice I will be back on in a week or so.
that black build up is going to come back after one ride. with a 2 stroke you mix the oil in gas to lube the cylinder. so the when the gas mixed with oil goes into the cylinder it it burns the oil and comes out the exhaust valve and out the exhaust. so that "black carbon build up" is burnt oil coming out the exhaust. which is what is supposed to happen. if there is no black gunk all over your exhaust valve and coming out the pipe your going to blow the motor up because it is not getting lubricated. and you are wrong by listening to the masses because the masses all ride 4 strokes now. a 4 stroke is completely different they dont mix oil in the gas therefore they dont get that nasty black build up. they have a separate oil tank with an oil pump like a car motor. believe me when i say the masses are giving you information that does not pertain to your bike. put that new cable on mix your gas 40:1 (recommended by suzuki) start the bike rev it for 5 minutes pull that cover off the exhaust valve its going to be full of that black stuff again. there is no way to keep it to a minimum.

i know you dont know much about 2 strokes BUT I DO. hence the reason i'm trying to help you i know pretty much everything there is to know about 2 strokes especially rm's as i have been racing, maintaining and rebuilding them for 15 years. im telling you your whole problem was a 20 dollar throttle cable you didnt believe me now you have your motor apart thinking it has to be something else and that the black carbon build up is a problem i better clean it. why are you even on here asking for advice if your not even going to listen. now your listening to the "masses" who don't know anything about 2 strokes because the masses ride 4 strokes.

and no it couldn't very well be the cable. IT IS THE CABLE. the same thing happened to my '03 rm 250. i let it sit for a couple years while i rode a free kx 450 and wouldn't you know it the cable went bad from sitting LIKE EVERY PERSON IN THE WORLD RIDES MOTORCYCLES KNOWS

im done trying to help you, because you dont listen. but yet its better to pull apart the motor that you clearly know nothing about. if you would have just took my advice in the beginning and put on the new throttle cable you'd be riding the bike instead of doing stupid pointless and useless work.

for people lurking here's the cliff's

you= i have a problem
me= here is the solution, cheap and easy
you= i dont know anything about this bike, i better pull the motor apart
me= why?
you= cuz of carbon build up
me= lol, i think were done here

Old 10-07-2011, 01:06 PM

So I love to tell people when they are full of it. I am happy....no elated to tell Sandwiches that you were, are, and in my opinion forever.....wrong. Thats right. The bike started up, runs like a champ, and is NOT due to a bad throttle cable. But thanks for trying.

The actual problem was a rusted and stuck solid, exhaust solenoid as well as the actuator rod unattached. (Would not have found that out without taking the motor apart!!!). My father in law and I tested the solenoid, and it failed. We took it apart and found it rusted stuck. We disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled to get it to work. After reinstalling, it worked like it should.

Note to everyone following this. Don't listen to people unless you examine it first yourself. Now my motor is clean and I, yes inexperienced, found the problem first hand. While I might be an amateur, I saved a ton of money. I saved even more because I didnt have to buy a throttle cable. LOL

Quick Reply: Rm 250 Wide open