Cooling Fan

Old 04-21-2006, 08:25 PM
Default Cooling Fan

I own a 02 XL7 and everytime I start the car the cooling fan automatically turns on and stays on. Now I dont think that this is normal, but if it is please tell me other wise and why?. But Im thinking there is some sort of sensor problem or something or other but no check engine light come on. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

TIA,

Claudio

Old 04-21-2006, 10:13 PM
Default RE: Cooling Fan

Sounds like a stuck relay. Often, fans are run by relays that fail in the ON position, which makes the fan run all the time rather than leave you overheated and stranded. Also, the fan will be energized if the air conditioner (including the defroster) is on. Turn off the air and see if it persists. If so, check the main fan relay.

Best regards!

Old 04-22-2006, 12:08 AM

Thank you for the quick reply, I will check the main fan relay, not sure exactly where it is located, but I will check the manual. I dont have the air or defroster on so it has to be that the relay is stuck.

TIA,

Claudio

Old 04-22-2006, 01:30 AM

I hope it's that simple. Good luck!

Old 04-22-2006, 12:36 PM

Well today I called my local Suzuki dealer just to get a quote on the main relay, and the guy said that it doesnt have a main relay to control the fan, its all mechanical he said. So is he wrong and knows nothing or is he right?

Because then, as well to compare prices I thought I would call a couple of other local parts providers and they did gave me quotes. Now how are they able to quote me on a part that apparently doesnt exist.

I havent checked the manual yet but I will.

TIA,

Claudio

Old 04-24-2006, 01:26 AM

There must be a relay somewhere, unless the fan is driven directly by a thermostatic switch, which is rare. I will be glad when Haynes or Chilton comes up with some manuals for us.

Old 04-25-2006, 01:16 PM

ORIGINAL: DrDaveMac

There must be a relay somewhere, unless the fan is driven directly by a thermostatic switch, which is rare. I will be glad when Haynes or Chilton comes up with some manuals for us.

Well just found out today, I called two dealers to confirm this. The service depts. both said that it is perfectly normal for the cooling fan to be on and stay on. Its called a constant cooling fan, and its not electrical it is belt driven, so thats why it stays on all the time. They ensured me that it wont burn the motor out and its perfectly normal.

So thank you for all your help, I greatly appreciate it!

Claudio

Old 04-27-2006, 03:42 PM
Administrator

it hadnt occured to me that you might have a belt driven fan...

Old 04-28-2006, 12:48 AM

ORIGINAL: Patrick

it hadnt occured to me that you might have a belt driven fan...

Niether did I...

Claudio

Old 05-07-2006, 03:54 PM

I checked with my neighbor when this one first came up, and sure enough, his has a dual electric fan setup; one is thermostatically controlled by engine temperature, the other one is turned on or off with the air conditioner compressor. He bought the vehicle used, but had no idea it was not a factory setup. It looked like a custom job, so maybe the first owner knew something we didn't. Anyway, I don't feel quite so ignorant now. I knew I had looked at it and was certain it was not a belt-driven fan.