General Motorcycle Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Transmission Downshift Jam

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 12:55 PM
Default Transmission Downshift Jam

I have an 01 Intruder VS1400 with about 5400 miles on it. My lattest problem is when I down shift, the lever seems to go half way then hits a wall and doesn't get into the lower gear. Doesn't matter which gear I'm in at the time, it still does this. So far I've managed to play with the clutch and roll off the stop and then shift down but it's really distracting and somewhat hazardous. Is my tranny going out or is there some adjustment I need to make?

Old 11-21-2005, 12:08 AM
Default RE: Transmission Downshift Jam

allrite this is what it says in my haynes manual for "doesn't go into gear or lever doesn't return." this is a 97 gsxr 600 manual but a lot of things are similar w/ all bikes. i suggest u get a haynes manual, they help out a lot on simple maintenece and specs on all fluids and oils that u will need to keep the bike running and properly maintained. also it explains how to do every other repairing/adjusting/checking w/ the bike. heres what it says about ur problem:

clutch not disengaging (check clutch play and adjust)

selector fork(s) bent or seized. often caused by dropping the machine or from lack of lubrication. overhaul the transmission.

gear(s) stuck on shaft. most often caused by a lack of lubrication or excessive wear in transmisson bearings and bushings. overhaul the transmission.

selector drum binding. caused by lubrication failure or excessive wear. renew the drum and bearing.

gearchange lever return spring weak or broken

gearchange lever broken. splines stripped out of lever or shaft, caused by allowing the lever to get loose or from dropping the machine. renew necessary parts.